Friday, November 30, 2012

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

                                                           

Ah, this book.  This book left me breathless. It drew on Welsh mythology involving flesh-eating horses that would rise out of the sea. One girl and one man (who made me think of Man from Snowy River...) who both, for their own reasons, decide to ride one of these wild beasts in the Scorpio Races. It is no surprise that this book won the Printz Award.


I had previously read Shiver and Linger by Stiefvater, which pale in comparison to this stunner.  (I guess Shiver is being made into a movie, as will Scorpio Races eventually). But, movies aside!


                                             


The Scorpio Races was recommended to me as a "if you like Hunger Games try this out" book. When I went into it, I was expecting another 'games' type scenario. Not at all, and yet the female protagonist, Puck, held a similarilty to Katniss in her determined spirit. This is not a book for just girls. I would hand this to anyone and say, "Read!"


  (ht Allie at Hyberbole and a half for her awesome art)

No comments:

Post a Comment