Friday, March 14, 2008

John Butler- illustrator



As I've mentioned before, the pictures found in children's books account for most of its appeal--especially for younger children.

When I find an illustrator I appreciate, I hop on our library's online catalog and reserve everything I can by that artist. Such was the case when I read my first book written and drawn by John Butler, Can You Cuddle Like a Koala. He uses soft, realistic images of animals, not cartoony variations. I have found his works in board bindings, as well as in large, beautiful hardback versions. This is the sort of art I would want to use in a nursery, but more than that, I understand when my daughter pets the pages on her lap.

*Note: Butler has also illustrated books that are intended for older children like Bashi, Elephant Baby  and Shadow, the Deer, both by Theresa Radcliffe.

No comments:

Post a Comment