Monday, March 31, 2008

My Truck is Stuck! by Kevin Lewis and Daniel Kirk



Little boys and trucks.

Write a children's book about anything on four (or more) wheels that can dig, pull, dump or lift and you've got a sure-fire winner. However, when it is well-illustrated and written in lilting rhyme, its even better.

This was my introduction to illustrator Daniel Kirk, of whom I've become a fan.  He cleverly weaves a subplot of conniving prairie dogs into the pictures, as Lewis tells the woeful tale of how a truck is stuck and all sorts of passing vehicles are unable to help.

When I first brought this book home, my youngest son had just turned 2 years old and for days afterward, this was the only book he wanted read out of stack of library books. "Duck is duck" he'd say, dumping it into my lap. Each time we'd get to that refrain, he'd pipe up and say it, nodding his head.

No comments:

Post a Comment