Friday, March 14, 2008

The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson



My usual way of choosing a book is initially by its cover (yes, I'll admit it). For a toddler, 80% of a book's appeal is its pictures. If a book passes the cover test, I'll flip through it. If it has too many words for a toddler, I'll re-shelve it for a future date. 

The Gruffalo passed this test.  The Gruffalo has a fair amount of words, but it follows a sing-song rhyme scheme that toddlers love. And it's about animals: #1 appeal for my crew.  #2 is anything that deals with monsters, dinosaurs, pirates, cowboys (see a theme?)

Here we have a story about animals and a monster: perfect. As I was reading it, I thought I had it all figured out. But I was taken by surprise by this delightful, clever little story.

No comments:

Post a Comment